Today, Chief Judge Janet DiFiore announced that as of this week courts in several upstate counties in the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th judicial districts will move to Phase 4 of the Unified Court System's gradual plan to return to in-person operations.
According to the announcement, Phase 4 will include the following matters being heard in-person:
- Child support proceedings and permanency hearings;
- Plea and sentencing hearings for defendants at liberty;
- Preliminary hearings for defendants being held in jail on felony complaints;
- Arraignments of defendants who have been issued desk appearance tickets;
- And in Supreme Court, on the civil side, court appearances where at least one party is unrepresented, and a limited number of bench trials.
In addition, as we previously reported, Grand Juries will begin convening in certain judicial districts outside of New York City.
For more information, and the latest updates, be sure to monitor our COVID-19 Resources Page for New York Lawyers.