In our latest episode of Remotely Ethical, we discuss a recent case where a Court awarded a law firm $1 on its application for legal fees.
In this episode we discuss:
- Vines v. Welspun Pipes, where a law firm applied for $96,000 in legal fees in an Fair Labor Standards Act case, but the judge awarded only $1 because he was unhappy with how the law firm had conducted the case.
- The factors a court might consider in determining whether to grant a fee application and how much to award.
- How lawyers can reduce the risk of having their fee applications denied or substantially reduced.
- Who has standing to appeal an adverse decision on a fee application - the lawyer or the client?
- What options are available to lawyers to protect against losing the right to appeal an adverse fee award.
Watch more episodes of Remotely Ethical on our YouTube channel.